There is evidence that there were Quakers living in and around Blackburn as early as 1655, when a Thomas Tayor wrote "At Blackburn there was one John Colby, a Friend and John Edge a well-wisher. At Haslingden John Robinson, a shopkeeper, a 'pretty' Friend. The Friends there and at Rossendale Head meet together." For these Friends the nearest Meeting Houses were at Chipping and Newton. Usually they met in each others houses.
It was not until 1793 that there was a first mention, in any records, of a meeting in Blackburn. In the minutes of Marsden Monthly Meeting, dated 1793 an entry can be found- "Report is made that a few Friends of Blackburn have obtained liberty from the Quarterly Meeting to hold Meetings for Worship on first days and some other suitable day of the week, the Quarterly Meeting, and the Monthly Meetings of Preston and Marsden unite in appointing visitors".
The first Meeting for Worship, for Blackburn Friends, took place in premises, at the corner of Barley Street. In 1809 a house was obtained on the south side of Clayton Street, meetings continuing in this building until 1823, when it became unsuitable for use due to disrepair. A committee was appointed and having "succeeded in meeting with a plot of land, in a good situation and of convenient size; that is containing about about 1,000 square yards, fenced around with a good brick wall", it was decided to purchase a Burial Ground and build a Meeting House.
The total cost for the new Meeting House was £906, 5s,7d.and so the present meeting house was built. In 1824, from the Minute Books we can see there were about 26 members and about 20 attenders. It was in 1826 that Quarterly Meeting established 'Blackburn Preparative Meeting'.
The records of maintenance for the Meeting House for the 19th C highlight the difficulties of heating the premises --